The Library currently has
1 job opening
The Plainfield Public Library District has an opening for a part-time Maintenance Assistant who is a self-starter with a customer friendly attitude.
Under the supervision of the Head of Maintenance, performs a variety of maintenance and custodial duties to maintain a safe, clean and attractive building. Must possess strength, stamina and mobility to perform heavy physical work. Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides consistent, gracious and friendly service to internal and external customers.
2. Understands library policies and procedures while safeguarding confidential and restricted information.
3. Performs a variety of routine physical labor tasks, depending on area of assignment, including posting general notices, pulling weeds, picking up litter, raking leaves and debris, planting, painting, replacing light bulbs, shoveling snow, spreading salt, emptying trash bins, and performing minor custodial work.
4. Sets up and breaks down facilities for scheduled events.
5. Accepts deliveries and distributes items/boxes as needed.
6. Responds to staff requests for physical assistance such as unloading and storing supplies and moving furniture.
7. Performs preparation and clean-up work for maintenance activities, including gathering and putting away tools and equipment, loading and unloading materials, and cleaning work areas.
8. Secures the building when working outside business hours.
9. Performs routine maintenance and cleaning tasks as assigned.
10. Refers unresolved maintenance issues to supervisor or person in charge.
11. Keeps informed of current information and trends at the local library level.
12. Keeps work areas neat and orderly.
13. Attends appropriate meetings as assigned by supervisor.
14. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and public.
2. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
3. Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
4. Ability to follow task to completion.
5. Ability to remain calm and effective in difficult situations.
6. Ability to work in inclement weather.
7. Basic knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in custodial maintenance work.
8. Basic knowledge of current building safety practices.
9. Ability to work safely in an environment containing cleaning chemicals, cleaning equipment, dust and noise.
10. Basic knowledge of PCs and software.
11. Ability to exercise reasonable and independent judgment and discretion.
12. Demonstrated ability to climb, balance, stoop, bend, lift and operate all equipment necessary to complete maintenance and custodial assignments.
13. Ability to organize job duties and work independently.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION:
Eighth grade education required with six years of maintenance experience or High School diploma or equivalent plus two years of maintenance experience.
This is a year-round part-time position, working 19 hours per week, with an hourly rate of $11.93. The typical schedule is weekday afternoons and evenings with occasional weekend hours and up to two mandatory workdays per year. Flexibility in scheduling is desirable. Position is open until filled.
Interested candidates should email a completed application and cover letter with Maintenance Assistant in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org. An application may be found by clicking on this link: application Only email submissions will be accepted.
Incomplete applications and submissions will not be considered. Applications are only accepted for open positions. Due to the volume of applications received, we cannot respond to requests or inquiries for application status. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. Position is available immediately and is open until filled. No phone calls please.
The Plainfield Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.