The Library currently has
1 job opening
Department Head of Reference and Reader Services
The Plainfield Public Library District seeks a forward thinking, team oriented professional to fill the position of Department Head of Reference and Reader Services. As the Head of the Reference & Reader Services Department, you will be a key contributor in our leadership team, as we develop our strategic plan to educate, captivate and connect with our district of over 75,000 residents.
Under the administration of the Library Director, responsible for professional leadership and management of Reference and Reader Services. Will serve as a person in charge.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides consistent, gracious and friendly service to internal and external customers.
2. Actively pursues opportunities to increase knowledge of current technology and library trends. Distributes and communicates information appropriately to management team and staff.
3. Understands and enforces the library policies and procedures while safeguarding confidential and restricted information.
4. Hires, trains, schedules and evaluates department staff. Coaches and counsels to resolve conflicts.
5. Responsible for development and implementation of Reference and Reader Services initiatives and activities supporting the Library’s strategic plan.
6. Responsible for Reference and Reader Services budget and monitors expenditures.
7. Responsible for development and maintenance of print, non-print and online adult collections, including negotiating vendor contracts.
8. Responsible for reporting internal department statistics.
9. Regularly works at the Reference and Reader Services desk.
10. Responsible for planning, developing and implementing adult library programs and public services.
11. Responsible for updates to website and social media
12. Attends appropriate meetings as assigned by Library Director.
13. Performs other duties as assigned by Library Director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and public.
2. Ability to exercise leadership and provide direction.
3. Ability to empathize and relate to the needs of all patrons.
4. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
5. Knowledge of Reference and Reader Services principles, practices and techniques.
6. Considerable ability to remain calm and effective in difficult situations.
7. Ability to exercise reasonable and independent judgment and discretion.
8. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
9. Ability to analyze and synthesize data to produce new or revised processes and procedures.
10. Knowledge of Library related technology, equipment, software and digital resources.
11. Ability to adapt to and effectively implement change.
Qualifications include an ALA/MLS degree with a minimum of five years of professional adult public service experience, including three years of supervisory experience. Work hours includes evenings, weekends and mandatory workdays and requires access to a vehicle.
This is a full time exempt level position with a starting salary of $59,000 depending on qualifications and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
To apply, email a cover letter, completed application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. An application may be found by clicking on this link: application. Only email submissions will be accepted. Preference will be given to applications received by Monday, July 17, 2017. Position is open until filled.
To be qualified, you must possess an ALA/MLS degree. Applicants without an ALA/MLS degree or applications received that are incomplete will not be considered. Applications are only accepted for open positions. Due to the volume of applications received, we cannot respond to requests or inquiries for application status. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.
The Plainfield Public Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.