Getting a Library Card
Who is eligible for Plainfield Public Library District library cards?
All residents regardless of age and living within the Plainfield Library District are entitled to free library cards.
How do I get a library card?
Visit the Check-Out Desk on the upper level or use the online application form here: apply for a library card online.
If you are under 18 years of age, you will need a parent or legal guardian to sign for your card.
What kind of identification do I need to get a library card?
If you have a valid Illinois driver’s license or state I.D. with your current address, that is the only form of identification needed. If you do not have a driver’s license or state I.D. with your current address, you’ll need to bring in one of the following items
(along with a photo I.D.):
- utility bill
- closing papers or rental agreement
- bank statement
- credit card statement
These must be dated and must show your name and current address.
How long is my card valid?
Library cards do not expire. You will be asked to verify contact information annually.
What if I lose or damage my card?
There is a $2.00 fee for replacing lost or damaged cards.
Can I use my card at other libraries?
Yes! Your library card can be used at other libraries in the Pinnacle Library Cooperative. You can also borrow materials at most other Illinois libraries with your valid Plainfield Public Library District card. Some libraries may limit the number and type of materials you can borrow.
I live in Plainfield. Why can’t I get a Plainfield Public Library District card?
For residents moving into one of the newer subdivisions, especially along Caton Farm Road, our answer to that question can sometimes prove frustrating. Not all homes with Plainfield mailing addresses are part of the Plainfield Library District.
If you have purchased a home in a newly-constructed subdivision, you probably won’t have a tax bill for 12-18 months from the date of purchase. In that case, we will need to call the county to verify your address for the library district. We can only call the county during their office hours, Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.
If you have a tax bill for your home, then simply look to see if it lists Plainfield Public Library District (Plfd Pub Lib Dist) with a corresponding tax rate of 0.002013 for TY2014 (payable in 2015). If it does, then please bring your tax bill with you at the time you apply for a Plainfield Library card. That way we can be sure that we are serving all our taxpayers.
Watch this video to learn if your property taxes include the Plainfield Public Library District | click here
My tax bill shows City of Joliet Library and Plainfield Public Library District | click here
Teacher/Homeschool Educator Cards
There are four different options available for Plainfield area teachers or homeschool educators:
- Use your personal Plainfield Library card to check out materials – no restrictions! Go online to check out, renew or place holds.
- If you have a library card in the Pinnacle Library Cooperative (but not a Plainfield Library card), you may simply use that at the Plainfield Library in the same way you would use a Plainfield card– no restrictions! Go online to check out, renew or place holds.
- If you have a library card from a library outside of the Pinnacle Library Cooperative, visit the Check Out Desk, become a reciprocal borrower (takes only moments) and you may then use that card to check out materials – no restrictions! Go online to check out, renew, place holds.
- If you should live in an unserved area, visit the Registration Desk and you will receive a yearly teacher courtesy card.
Using the CardStar app on your Smart Phone
Now you can consolidate all of your cards (including your library card) onto your mobile device with the CardStar app. CardStar is a mobile app allowing you to import all your loyalty cards into one space-saving location. Once you have downloaded the app, you can import the barcode of each loyalty card directly into your phone. You can find the CardStar app in the Google Play or Apple App store.