The Great American Read
THE AMERICAN LIBRARY ASSOCIATION (ALA) AND PBS announced the list of 50 public libraries selected to receive programming grants for “The Great American Read,” an eight-part television series and multi-platform initiative that celebrates the joy of reading and the books we love. Plainfield Public Library was one of the selected libraries!
Hosted by television personality and journalist Meredith Vieira, “The Great American Read” engages audiences with a list of 100 diverse books, encouraging audiences to read the books, vote from the list of 100, and share their personal connections to the titles.
You can stream the series premiere, a two-hour launch kicking off a summer of reading and voting and introduces viewers to the full list of America’s 100 favorite novels selected through a demographically representative national survey conducted by YouGov. The series also features interviews with celebrities, authors, superfans and everyday Americans discussing the way particular books have influenced them and their significance in American popular culture.
Make sure to vote for your favorite!
The series will resume in the fall with several themed episodes, including an exciting finale, culminating in the first-ever national vote to choose “America’s Best-Loved Novel.”
Many of the titles are available for digital download with a Plainfield Library card through hoopla.
THE LIBRARY’S programming for “The Great American Read” will be offered throughout the summer and fall:
- July 14, 10:00 AM. Charlotte’s Web Movie & Crafts. Enjoy Charlotte’s Web, the 1973 animated classic, on the big screen and watch the barnyard animals come alive. Charlotte’s Web inspired crafts available for the kids. Please register each adult and child attending. Registeration opens June 30.
- July 14, 1:00 PM. Pride and Prejudice Movie and Refreshments. A classic novel comes to the big screen in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice. Refreshments will be served, and you are welcome to bring your own snacks. Register here.
- September 12, 7;00 PM. Southern Food Favorites Inspired by The Help. Talking about books and food is a great combination. Join Chef Rose Deneen as she prepares food favorites from the novel The Help. Samples and recipes provided. Registration opens August 15.
- September 13, 7:00 PM. A Novel Idea Book Discussion. We will be discussing The Great American Read selection, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Pick up a copy of the book at the Reference Desk starting August 10 and join us for the discussion. No registration required.
- September 26, 7:00 PM. Harry Potter Trivia. Time to put your Harry Potter knowledge to the test. Fun and interactive trivia with giveaways for teens and adults. Register each person attending. Registration opens September 1.
- September 19, 2:00 PM. A Novel Idea Book Discussion. We will be discussing The Great American Read selection, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Pick up a copy of the book at the Reference Desk starting August 10 and join us for the discussion. No registration required.
- October 2, 7:00 PM. Get Published. Author Annalisa Russo guides writers from start to finish on how to find an agent or publisher, prepare a query letter and synopsis for submission, what you can expect after you sign on the dotted line, and how to promote your book once you are published. Register here.
- October 23, 6:30 PM: The Great American Read Finale. Book lovers unite to watch the live broadcast of The Great American Read finale. The top 20 favorite books will be revealed along with the number one most-loved novel. Doors open at 6:30 for refreshments, book giveaways and a Kindle Paperwhite drawing. Registration opens September 1.