The Great Read 2019 January 31 to February 28
The 2019 community read focuses on L. Frank Baum’s enduring 1900 classic novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which tells the story of the magical journey of Dorothy Gale, her dog, Toto, and the faithful friends she meets along the way to the Emerald City. First published in Chicago, the book captured the hearts of readers and spawned countless book, movie and musical adaptations, and its timeless themes of adventure, friendship and good versus evil continue to live on today.
By attending any Great Read program, or by reading a book or watching a movie related to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, you can enter a free drawing to win prizes such as gift cards. For details visit The Great Read website.
Artists of all ages are invited to enter The Great Read Art Contest. Create an original piece of art inspired by The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Submit your artwork along with an entry form at a participating library by February 15 for a chance to win a $50 Barnes & Noble gift card. Entries can be any medium (limit 24″ in height and width, a weight limit of five pounds or length of 2.5 minutes). Click here for official Art Contest rules and to download an entry form.
Thursday, January 31, 6:30 PM
Joliet Public Library Ottawa Street Branch
150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet
Follow the yellow book road to the Joliet Public Library Ottawa Street Branch to kick off The Great Read. Bring your heart, brains and courage and compete in Oz trivia during this “Toto”lly great night. Teams can be as large as 5 people, with singles welcome who can be matched into teams. Refreshments provided. Registration opens Dec 3.
Thursday, February 28, 6:30 PM
Plainfield Public Library District
15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield
Prizes, giveaways and refreshments, oh my! Celebrate the culmination of The Great Read by watching The Wizard of Oz (Rated G) starring Judy Garland. Attendees are encouraged to dress up as their favorite character for a chance to win prizes. The Great Read Art Contest winners will be announced. Refreshments and book giveaways (while supplies last). No registration required.
- Journey Into Dreams. Monday, February 4, 7:00 PM. Dreams provide an infinite amount of power, wisdom and healing. Explore the depths of the subconscious through dreams with a dream analysis expert. The most common dreams are revealed with time for dream interpretations during the session. Register here.
- Sing-along The Wizard of Oz (PG). Tuesday, February 12, 5:30 to 7:30 PM. Skip and sing down the Yellow Brick Road as you participate in the Sing-Along The Wizard of Oz movie experience. Costumes are highly encouraged! Registration begins January 29.
- The Wizard of Oz: Unlocked. Thursday, February 14, 11:00 AM. Take a trip down the yellow brick road while watching movie clips that reveal secrets from the classic film along with shocking behind-the-scenes production moments. Register here.
- Stories and Books and Baskets, Oh My! Monday, February 18, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. All Ages. Celebrate The Wizard of Oz with storytime baskets! Find a basket in Youth Services, read a book, then bring it to life with a hands-on activity. No registration required.
- Teen Painting Party: Yellow Brick Road. Monday, February 18 6:30 to 8:00 PM. Ages 11 to 17. Shane Rotkis of Imagine Arts Plainfield provides instructions to help you create a Wizard of Oz-themed canvas painting. Supplies provided. Registration begins February 4.
- Over the Rainbow Painting. Wednesday, February 20, 6:00 PM. Take a look somewhere over the rainbow and create your own work of art by painting on canvas with instructions by local artist Shane Rotkis. Supplies provided. Limited to Plainfield cardholders. Register here.
- Critics’ Choice Movie. The Wiz Live! February 21, 1:00 PM. 2015 presentation of the live taping of The Wiz! Doors open at 12:30 PM. You are welcome to bring snacks. Register here.
- The Wizard of Oz Scavenger Hunt Saturday, February 23 to Thursday, February 28. All Ages. The Wicked Witch is at it again! She has hidden special items from Oz all around the Library. Find all the hidden items and get a prize at the Youth Services Desk. No registration required.
- The Great Book Discussion. Wednesday, February 27, 2:00 PM. Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts is a richly imagined novel that tells the story behind The Wonderful Wizard of Oz through the eyes of author L. Frank Baum’s intrepid wife, Maud. Books available for pick-up starting February 12. No registration required.