Language Learning Clubs:
Our Language Learning Clubs are free and open to everybody. These clubs offer an easy and fun way to learn English at your own speed, surrounded by a supportive group of fellow learners.
Visit our Events Calendar for a full listing of all upcoming programs at the Library.
For questions, contact Tania Hess at email@example.com or text (815) 263-8145. Se habla español.
English for Intermediate Learners
In-Person on Wednesdays
Level 3: 9:30 – 10:30 AM
Level 4: 11:00 – 12:00 PM
For students who already use English in daily tasks but need to keep improving. Includes leveled listening, speaking, reading and writing practice.
*Placement test required*
Virtual Conversation Club
Virtually on Thursdays
10:00 – 11:45 AM
Practice while connecting with friends. Share ideas and culture and discuss current events, family life and anything relevant to you.
Partnership with JJC Department of Adult Education and Literacy
Learn more about the Plainfield Library and Joliet Junior College’s Department of Adult Education and Literacy Partnership in this interview with ESL/ELL Liason Tania Hess and Cathy Kramer, Adult Education and Literacy Specialist at JJC.
Language Learning Resources at the Library
- Basic Skills materials including reading, spelling, writing, grammar, pronunciation, and idioms.
- Citizenship Test Guides
- GED Test Guides
- TOEFL Test Guides
- Language Dictionaries
- Language Learning CDs
- Compass Classics Series
The Library collects books in Polish, Spanish and Urdu. We also collect DVDs in over 20 languages including Chinese, French, German, Hindi, Polish, and more.
- Free English Learning Tools
- Basic ESL: Learn English reading, writing and speaking. Topics cover family, home, school, work and more.
- BBC Languages: Videos, activities and tests to help you learn many different languages.
- Duolinguo: English learning classes regardless of your native tongue
- Future Learn: Free English Language learning from around the world.
- HelpNow: Homework help from Kindergarten to College.
- Mango Languages: Available with your Plainfield Public Library card. Self-paced lessons to improve your reading and conversation skills.
- News for You: Read and Listen along to today’s headlines!
- Recurso Para Hispanohablantes: Spanish learning tools to improve Math, English and Grammar plus GED test prep.
- Spanish Language Online Resources