Are you interested in furthering, broadening and expanding your education, and increasing your own information base? Would you like to learn English as a second or even a third language, or learn another new language such as Spanish, Urdu, Chinese or Russian?
English Language Learning Clubs
Our Language Learning Clubs are free and open to everybody. Each session is 90 minutes.
- An easy way to learn English
- Have fun as you learn
- Work at your own speed
Life Skills Club
Mondays, 10:00 to 11:30 am
Learn language related to everyday activities. Themes include: Getting a job, talking to your child’s teacher, banking and finances vocabulary, making friends, learning American culture, etc.
Tuesdays, 10:00 to 11:30 am
Improve your English by reading books and articles. A fun way to learn new vocabulary, practice pronunciation and share ideas.
Wednesdays, 10:00 to 11:30 am
Learn English grammar and writing skills that are useful in everyday conversations.
Thursdays, 10:00 to 11:30 am OR Thursdays, 6:30 to 8:00 pm
Practice speaking English and make new friends. Share ideas and culture, play games, discuss current events, family life and anything relevant to life in the United States.
For questions, contact Tania Hess at 815.263.8145 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Se habla español.
Books and other print materials in English
- Basic skills materials include reading, spelling, writing, grammar, pronunciation, and idioms.
- Easy to read books are available in Youth Services on the lower level.
- Foreign language dictionaries and instruction are cataloged in the Dewey Decimal 400s. A librarian can help you with these titles.
- TOEFL titles as well as grammar and pronunciation titles are available in the Adult Non-fiction area at 428.24 and nearby numbers.
- Several area newspapers and popular magazines are available for language practice.
Books and other materials in Foreign Languages
- The Library collects books in Hindi, Polish, Spanish and Urdu.
- These collections can be found on the upper level.
- Foreign language instruction CDs available for those interested in learning a new foreign language or reestablishing existing foreign language skills.
Feature Films in Foreign Languages on DVDs
- The Library collects a variety of foreign films in languages such as Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian Polish, Russian and more.
Online Language Learning
- Our Online Learning page includes several free educational resources. You can find these resources in the Language Learning section.
- The online resource called Mango Languages is available to Plainfield Public Library card holders from home with their 14 digit Library card. Patrons from other libraries are welcome to try this in the Library. Mango Languages uses a self-paced learning strategy that develops basic language skills of pronunciation, meaning and the beginning of reading and conversational comprehension.
- FutureLearn provides free cultural and language learning courses from institutions around the world.
Spanish Language Online Resources
- Choose Spanish Resources (Recursos en Español) from the Online Resources page to access the resources described below.
- A small collection of links to Spanish-language websites for reference, research, news and information are provided for your use.