Foreign Language & English as a 2nd Language Resources
Are you interested in furthering, broadening and expanding your education, and increasing your own information base? Would you like to learn English as a second or even a third language, or learn another new language such as Spanish, Urdu, Chinese or Russian?
Clubs for English Language Learning (ELL)
- Is your first language Spanish, Polish, Hindi or anything but English?
- Would you like the opportunity to practice your newly-learned English skills in an informal, non-judgmental setting?
- Learn more about American culture and customs while speaking English with others who are learning English. Each of the clubs is lead by trained English as a Second Language instructors and tutors.
- Conversation Club meets every Thursday mornings from 10:00 am to 11:30 am and/or from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. There is a Grammar Club and a Reading Club as well. Check the Online Event Calendar for session information.
- For questions, contact Tania Hess at 815.263.8145 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Se habla español.
Books and other print materials in English
- Basic skills materials include reading, spelling, writing, grammar, pronunciation, and idioms.
- Easy to read books are available in Youth Services on the lower level.
- Foreign language dictionaries and instruction are cataloged in the Dewey Decimal 400s. A librarian can help you with these titles.
- TOEFL titles as well as grammar and pronunciation titles are available in the Adult Non-fiction area at 428.24 and nearby numbers.
- Several area newspapers and popular magazines are available for language practice.
Books and other print materials in Foreign Languages
- The Library collects books in Hindi, Polish, Spanish and Urdu.
- These collections can be found on the upper level.
- Foreign language instruction CDs available for those interested in learning a new foreign language or reestablishing existing foreign language skills.
- Ingles sin Barreras and other multimedia titles for learning English are also available.
Feature Films in Foreign Languages on DVDs
- The Library collects a variety of foreign films in languages such as Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian Polish, Russian and more.
Online Language Learning
- Our Online Learning page includes several free educational resources. You can find these resources in the Language Learning section.
- The online resource called Mango Languages is available to Plainfield Public Library card holders from home with their 14 digit Library card. Patrons from other libraries are welcome to try this in the Library. Mango Languages uses a self-paced learning strategy that develops basic language skills of pronunciation, meaning and the beginning of reading and conversational comprehension.
- Basic ESL improves an individual’s listening, speaking, reading and writing skills through a simple to follow, and instructionally proven curriculum. Students learn English quickly and effectively on relevant topics including: family, home, school and many other topics. In each lesson students learn key vocabulary and how to use that vocabulary in conversation. No computer experience is necessary.
- FutureLearn provides free cultural and language learning courses from institutions around the world.
Spanish Language Online Resources
- Choose Spanish Resources (Recursos en Español) from the Online Resources page to access the resources described below.
- A small collection of links to Spanish-language websites for reference, research, news and information are provided for your use.