Accessibility at the Plainfield Library
Resources for People with Hearing Disabilities
- The Library will provide a sign language interpreter for programs and events, whenever possible. Seven business days’ notice is required in order for the Library to hire a qualified interpreter. Fill out this form to request a sign language interpreter.
- Library events on Zoom include live captions. Learn about enabling live captions in this how-to guide.
Resources for People with Visual Disabilities
- Large-type books and magazines
- Downloadable books and audiobooks
- Books on CD
- Circulating Kindle Paperwhites with pre-loaded eBooks and adjustable text sizes.
- NVDA Viewer installed on public PCs.
- Readalong Books for children.
Talking Books / Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD)
The Talking Book and Braille Service (TBBS) provides audio and braille library service via mail or digital download to any Illinois resident who is unable to read standard print material due to a permanent or temporary visual or physical disability. It is available through the Illinois State Library.
Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) makes available books and magazines from the vast NLS collection selected on the basis of their appeal across a wide range of interests. More than 115,000 audio and braille fiction and nonfiction titles are available, including some in languages other than English. Issues of more than ninety magazine titles are also available. NLS adds new titles regularly, including specially acquired music scores and music appreciation books. More information can be found at the Library of Congress website
Resources for People with Mobility Disabilities
- Home delivery of books, music, movies and other library materials.
- Accessible building with electronically operated front door and wheelchair-accessible drinking fountain and elevator.
- Access to eBooks, eAudio, streaming music and movies from home with our eResources collection.
- Online Resources available from home. For research assistance, contact the Reference desk at 815-327-2515 and firstname.lastname@example.org. For assistance with youth resources, contact the Youth Services desk at 815-439-2877 and email@example.com.
We provide delivery of materials such as books, audiobooks, music and movies to Plainfield Library cardholders who are unable to physically come to the Library.
- Home delivery is offered as an ongoing service or temporarily according to your needs.
- To receive books and other library materials, you must have a Plainfield Library card.
- New baby? We understand that this is a very special—and busy—time, so we offer our home delivery service to help assist you too.
- You will receive a phone call before the materials are delivered, as well as a reminder call before they are picked up.
- Materials will be delivered in a weatherproof library bag and will be dropped off at your premises if you are not available at the time of delivery. Please put materials in the same bag for pick up.
Please contact Judi Deszcz, Home Delivery Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 815-582-7696 to sign up for home delivery.