Book Sale and Donations
Our year-round book sale is located on the backside of the long, low range of shelves at the top of the entrance stairs on the upper level. Hardcovers are $1.00, paperbacks are 25 cents, and all audiovisual items are $1.00. The items for sale have been generously donated by our patrons or withdrawn from the Library’s collection.
The Library is happy to accept book donations for fiction and non-fiction books, music (CDs only) and DVDs. Please call the reference desk at 815-327-2515 to see if we can accept your donations at that time.
The Library is unable to accept magazines, textbooks, encyclopedias, newspapers, computer software, electronics or office supplies.
Donations must adhere to the following guidelines:
- All materials donated become the property of the Plainfield Public Library District and will be used as the Library desires. Not all items donated will be added to the collection. The majority will become part of the ongoing book sale, which generates revenue used to purchase new materials.
- Please donate only recent materials. If an item is more than 5 years old, please recycle it or give it to an organization like the AAUW Naperville branch (630-219-3087), Joliet Treatment Center of the Illinois Department of Corrections in Joliet (Dianna.L.Wilson@illinois.gov) or S.C.A.R.C.E. Book Rescue Center in Glen Ellyn (630-545-9710).
- Please be sure donated items are in good condition. Ripped covers, musty books, broken spines and books that have been written in are not accepted.
- The Library cannot place a monetary value on books donated, but will issue you a receipt indicating the total number of books donated.
- Please bring materials into the library. Do not leave materials in the bookdrop or on the sidewalk.
- Due to space and storage constraints, the Library is able to accept only two bags or boxes per donation.
- The Library does not have help on site to unload your donations; you must be able to bring these in yourself to the Reference Desk on the upper level.
- Materials that are donated to the Library must be in containers that do not have to be returned. Please use bags or boxes. The Library is not responsible for returning crates.
Special Instructions for Large Donations
- If you have a large quantity of items to donate, please wait until the Friends of the Library Annual Sale in August.
- Prior to the sale, announcements will go out about when and where the Library will be accepting donations.
- Often, during this period, there are volunteers who can assist you with unloading your donation.