What is Autism?
Also known as autism spectrum disorder, autism includes a broad range of conditions including social skill challenges, repetitive behavior issues, and speech and nonverbal communication delays and challenges. It includes a number of subtypes both genetic and environmental. It’s not unusual for those with autism to experience medical issues, sleep disorders, sensory sensitivity, anxiety, depression and attention issues. Approximately 1 in 54 children is affected in the United States with signs of the disorder usually appearing by the age of 2 or 3. Autism Speaks
- An Asperger’s guide to entrepreneurship: Setting up your own business for professionals with autism spectrum disorder by Rosalind A. Bergemann (available as an eBook)
- The kid-friendly ADHD and autism cookbook : the ultimate guide to the most effective diets by Pamela J. Compart and Dana Laake (available in print)
- Neurotribes : the legacy of autism and the future of neurodiversity by Steve Silberman (available as eAudio and in print)
- Nobody’s normal : how culture created the stigma of mental illness by Roy Richard Grinker (available in print)
- The pattern seekers : how autism drives human invention by Simon Baron-Cohen (available in print)
- Positive parenting for autism : powerful strategies to help your child overcome challenges and thrive by Victoria M. Boone (available in print)
- Right from the start : a practical guide for helping young children with autism by Karen Donahue and Kate Crassons (available in print)
- Ten things every child with autism wishes you knew by Ellen Notbohm (available in print)
- The Asperger/Autism Network They provide needed information, education, a sense of community, valued support, and advocacy to build meaningful, connected lives for those affected.
- Autism Research Institute Through innovative research and education, they focus on the health and well-being of people whose lives are impacted by autism.
- Autism Science Foundation They support autism research to increase autism awareness.
- Autism Society Their goal is to improve the lives of those affected by autism.
- Autism Speaks Their mission is to promote solutions for those families of autism.
- Child Mind Institute They seek to transform the lives of children and families coping with mental health and learning disorders.
- National Autism Association Their objective is to address the most urgent needs of the autism community to help find help and hope.
- National Institute of Mental Health Develop an understanding and how to treat mental illness.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke They seek to answer questions about brain and the nervous system and use that information to reduce neurological illnesses.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness They seek to better the lives of the mentally ill.
- Organization for Autism Research The mission of using research to answer questions about and for those living with autism.
- USAutism Association They seek to provide opportunities for those with Autism Spectrum Disorders to achieve their fullest potential.
- The Autism Spectrum
- Inside an Autism Assessment
- Video: Autism 101 : A Guide to the Spectrum of Disorders
- 20 most common autism symptoms
- Autism (Healthy Children)
- Autism (Nami)
- Autism Information (HHS)
- Autism Resources for COVID-19
- Autism Society
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (Medline)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (NIMH)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (Mayo Clinic)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Health Center
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Fact Sheet
- Autism Speaks
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Basics
- Everything you need to know about autism
- Home videos can be scored to diagnose autism
- Photos, videos could help experts diagnose children with autism
- What are the 3 main symptoms of autism?
- What is autism?
- What to know about autism
Autism Service Provider & Beyond (630) 548-0749
The Autism Therapy Group (847) 465-9556
Caravel Autism Health Naperville (630) 793-1074
- Plainfield, IL: (779) 234-4249
- Naperville, IL: (779) 234-4249
- Aurora, IL: (630) 401-8311